Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hayward Field, Oogena


© Nicole Barker

early light + yellow landing pad + crop happy = eh

I flashbacked to college while shooting prep state track and field championships in Eugene. Ironically, as a student I got to shoot higher-caliber collegiate sports and meets like the Pre Classic.
It was strange shooting in a herd of photojournalists again. In Eastern Oregon I was a big fish in a small pond. In civilization I'm just a little tadpole.
It didn't go so great. I got yelled at by an OSAA dude (unwarranted), received embarassing advice from a colleague (warranted) and missed two first place victories for one of the teams I was covering. I'm such a grom.
I did, however, get to eat Pegasus' teriyaki chicken and pineapple pizza, meet the entire Hidle clan and catch up with one of my favorite professors.

2 comments:

Booth Family said...

Who else knows that "Oogena" means Eugene? Picked up the Eugene Weekly today, and boy, do I miss that place. Cool photo, btw.

Annette said...

Hey! I love the photo. My husband & I went to the Prefontaine Classic once and it was a great meet. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.